Thursday, April 2, 2009

Things I learned today....

Unemployment occasionally has its advantages.

Today, my little sister (bless her heart) woke me up at 9:30 to talk about a trip she took two weeks ago. Since the trip wasn't changing between 9:30 and 11:00, I wasn't certain what compelled her to call at such an ungodly hour, but I did, at least, owe her a short chat.

Lesson No. 1 of the day: don't take your cellphone to bed.

Later, I made a yummy egg scramble with red and green peppers, spinach, and reduced-fat cheddar cheese. Then, when looking up the nutrition information, realized that "reduced fat shredded cheddar" is actually listed as a "cheese product" in my Calorie and Fat counter (circa 2005).

Lesson No. 2: "cheese products" have neither flavor, nor a place on your eggs. Just skip it and add more salt.

This afternoon, I found myself yelling at a lovely woman from Chase, who, apparently, I had confused with a scammer who called last week about "my account" and lowering an interest rate. This woman was merely checking to make sure that I knew my account had been transferred to Chase, from Wamu. Yeah, yeah.

Lesson No. 3: Don't paint all scammers with accents with the same brush. But don't give them any information on the phone, either.

And finally, this evening, after a successful day of Weight Watchering, and counting all my points, and eating perfectly healthy, I saw an ad for Dunkin Donuts while watching ER. Citing forces beyond my control, I found myself whipping up a batch of Ruby's Peanut Butter cookies without thinking.

Lesson No. 4: Don't leave the Big Girl alone with butter, sugar, and eggs when there's a Lifestyle Change afoot. It never ends well.

And with that, I'm putting the uncooked batter in the fridge, and going to bed!

3 comments:

thehazlettfamily said...

Great willpower. I'm proud of you. I wish I had your strength. I've gone 5 days without soda. A huge feat for me, but, opted for Dairy Queen for dinner. I'm pretty sure I can't count the banana split as a great dairy/fruit item. :sigh: I'll just have to try to do better tomorrow. Good luck on your diet.

Auntienatti said...

9:30 AM or PM??

Ruby would have been up & out of the house way before 9:30 a.m. If it was PM - bed time.

Recently joined the gym. Hating every minute of it!!

Good luck with what you are doing.

Sallie said...

Thanks, gang -
Auntinatti, I know..I'm embarrassed to admit I was still in bed...but Ruby was probably in bed before 3, right???

Good for you for joining the gym! Even if you hate it, you're doing something...hmm..still doesn't sound better that way :)

Ms. Hazlett, keep on with that soda thang. I don't know how you do it...they'll be prying the Diet Coke out of my cold dead fingers.