Sunday, February 15, 2009

V-Day: Single Style

Valentine's Day is usually pretty uneventful. Yet this year, mine was so completely and totally stereotypical that I had to disclose the events in full (and if this is not motivation to continue on Match.com, I don't know what is...)

6:30 a.m. Shower, shave legs, throw on running gear, go to group run. (No, the shaving was not completely necessary, but it made me feel better.)

9:00 a.m. Post-run trip to Starbucks. Show remarkable restraint ordering NO $4.50 mocha, instead order "Venti" Icewater (free) and low-fat banana-chocolate chip coffee cake. IT WAS EARLY. I STILL HAD RESTRAINT LEFT.

10:00 a.m. Return to car, find $50 parking ticket. CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE???

11:30 a.m. Shower again, curl up on the couch for a nap. I put on LIFE with Damian Lewis (my TV boyfriend) in the background.

12:30 p.m. Call from cousin Jess. We agree workouts on V-Day are big accomplishment. Maybe the only productive thing we'll do all day. We pat ourselves on the back. I go back to sleep. She goes to ger her hair cut.

1:30 p.m. Call from mom. Who reveals her giant pine tree wiped out neighbors electrical/phone on Wednesday. Mom is fine, electrical is fine. Tree is sleeping with the fishes. I'm reminded that life, and lumber, are fleeting.

3:00 p.m. Sucked into Hallmark movie. Wha???

6:50 p.m. Friend Val and I are comfortably ensconced in the near-empty Skokie theatre to catch Confessions of a Shopaholic. Woo HOOOOOO. Movie is so funny I cry several times.

8:45 p.m. Consider going to BW3s next to theatre, only to spy 200 15 year olds eating wings. Where are their parents???

9:30 p.m. Val and I call an audible for an emergency stop at KFC. Yes, that's right. Stupid new ad campaign. After debating the merits of various chicken combos, we both suck down crispy chicken something or others, and grin at the complete lameness of the evening. Thankfully, the two single Russian guys across from us don't make any comments. Though, they do seem to be headed out for a night of drinking, whereas we are heading to our homes. Well, Val is. I'm...

10:30 pm. Making an emergency stop at CVS for chocolate. Oh please, you knew this was coming. It takes 20 minutes to check out, which I think was God's way of telling me to PUT THE ALMOND KISSES DOWN and STEP AWAY FROM THE COUNTER. I don't listen.

12:00 p.m. Bed. I have bad dreams about the Hallmark movie girl beating up the Shopaholic girl because she spent too much money. Wha?

Another stellar Valentine's Day is in the books. Here's to next year!!!!

No comments: