Monday, February 2, 2009

I Stopped Traffic. Sort Of.

My mom told me that Ruby originally hailed from the hills of Tennessee. When we traced back my family tree at some point, I don't think I got very far. But I knew one thing about my grandmother: her phrases, her sayings, and some of that sass made it to my mom, and my aunt, and most definitely to my cousin, sister, and me.

I know, for instance, that I really should never leave the house without makeup. My mom never did. I mean, you were bound to run into someone at the grocery store, and there is NO way that she ever looks less than put together.

So today, when I was getting ready to go get my annual physical, I slathered on the Bare Minerals foundation (and seriously, those people make money because it ALL LANDS IN MY SINK and not on the brush...but anyway). I did something scary with bobbypins and my hair, and threw on my big Jackie O sunglasses for the trip downtown.

And, I'll admit, I felt pretty good. I had lipstick on (for the first time in at least two weeks). I looked kinda cute - and you could even see cheekbones on my face. So when I walked up to the platform at Sedgwick and the train slowed into the station, I smiled back at the cute conductor and hopped on the train.

Four stops later, I hopped off, and walked towards the exit. I felt the train start to pull out, and I slapped on my sunglasses, smiling at the fact that I needed them. And then, I hear the train slow, and a voice beside me. I look, and the conductor has pulled down the little window.

"If you don't mind my saying so, you are looking fabulous (or was it fantastic?) today," he says, smiling at me.

I bust open a big, toothy, seriously fine grin for this nice man, who clearly means what he says.

"Well, thank you!" I say, grinning back at him, extending my hand. We do a sort of shake/slap thing, and I immediately wish I was cooler at accepting complements from random conductors. "You know, I needed that today," I say, thinking damn, that feels good!

He smiles back. And I figure I'm now lacking in the complement department, so I say "You're looking pretty good yourself", and I smile, and start to walk away.

"Thank you" he says, and we both sort of grin. Well, I gotta go, and he has a train to drive, and I'm sure there are people in that car going all "why is that fool conductor flirting with the fat girl in the wide leg jeans?"...

"You have a good day now" he says to me, and I respond in kind, smiling as I walk away. But wait, there's more!

The train's moving again, but he's re-opened the window, and as he pulls away, he says "You know, I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it!" and now I'm really laughing - the guy may be a player, but I don't care.

And all because I put on a little makeup, smiled back at someone, and, possibly, looked quite fine. Who knew jeans and some MAC lipglass could go so far? Maybe Ruby, and mom, knew something about looking good to feel good. Or maybe it was an unexpected jolt of Vitamin D from the sun. Either way, I'm still grinning.

1 comment:

Auntienatti said...

Well, as Ruby would let you know - it is not so much the make-up (although I'm sure that didn't hurt), it is all in the attitude - & she sure did have one!