Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Rule No. 3 - Have a Plan

It might seem odd that the first Unemployment Rule related to actually finding a job is Rule No. 3. Somewhere, Ruby is clucking, thinking that her smart granddaughter must be pretty dumb to have forgotten about actually FINDING a job. But then again, she knew something her peers didn't when she opened those two (TWO!) bars in Cincinnati in the 50s and 60s. She knew that to be successful, you have to have a plan. I'm pretty sure she didn't purchase every single wine, spirit and brew on the market when she opened her doors. But sometimes, that's what job searching feels like - if you just place an order for every job you MIGHT be qualified for, you'll be successful. But just like wasted alcohol, wasted time searching for a job is a sin. So thinking about your plan - and how you're going to make the most of your skills and experiences - matters.

As a two time survivor of "The Break" I can say that finding that next job requires preparation - and hard work. You must know the kind of job - or job(s) you want. You must be able to explain the skills, strengths, and attitudes you will bring to the job. You also need to explain what you learned from the last job (and no, I've found "Don't work for crazy bitches" doesn't go far.) And perhaps, most important, you need to understand whether this job is what you AND the employer both need.

Those are very hard things to figure out when you're on your couch surfing the web. Hence, The Plan. When you first go on The Break, you might be tempted to apply for any job with the word "Salary" in the description. Probably not the best idea. And yet, being the guy who refuses to look at jobs that have slightly lower qualifications might be a mistake too.

So somewhere, you're going to need a plan to find a company, who has a job, where you can be of help.

Your plan can take several forms. My plan has three approaches.
1. Find a Headhunter.
First, I make a list of the skills and subject matter areas that I've become good at. I look at them, and decide which ones I think I might want to continue doing. Then, I call a few headhunters. I like to use people who've worked with friends before, because I know they're successful and have good networks. I set up a few meetings, and walk through the different skills and experiences - and I let them go to work.

2. Find the companies you want to work for.
Next, keeping in mind the types of positions I want, I research the lists of companies I'd want to work for. Crain's Chicago Business publishes a list each week - Private Companies, Public Companies, Law Firms, Places You Can Wear Crocs To Work and Not Get Mocked, etc. Then I identify the person responsible for the department I'd like to work in (law, corporate responsibility, compliance, internal audit, etc.), do some research on the work THEY have done, and write them an letter. Yes, a letter. I include my resume with it, explain what I'm looking for, and send it via that big blue box at the end of the street. This approach was completely lifted from "What Color Is Your Parachute" - a guide which I swear by now. (If you need a detailed Excel chart to analyze the excercises, contact me - I'll send you mine.) I recommend a double-dip with this approach - visit the company's website and apply to any open positions. This approach has gotten me in the door before - and I've ended up with final interviews because of it - but it does take work.

3. Surf the job site that works for you.
Monster, LawCrossing, The Ladders, NPO.net, Idealist.org are all job sites that offer a wide range of positions. Again, I look for jobs that match my skill and experience. I set some detailed search criteria, have the results mailed to me daily. Then, I probably spend two hours a day drafting cover letters and tweaking resumes for the new position. (Hint: you MUST include the job description posted in the "Objective" section of your resume to get through the HR filters at the company.) While the success rates for these applications are low, I cross-refernece each application with my connections on LinkedIn - (if you're not on the professional networking site, get on it, stat!) and forward resumes to contacts at the same company, asking them to send along to the hiring manager.

Eventually, you'll get some hits. You'll start interviewing; and you'll find a job that fits your background. As Ruby might have said, (and hell, I'm just making this part up) what's important here is finding a job, yes - but it's also about surviving the experience - and emerging, if anything, stronger than when you went in.

No comments: