Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Santa Lost a Ho

So I was listening to 93XRT here in Chicago the other day, when I heard this jug band playing a song called "Santa Lost a Ho". For illustrative purposes, you probably want to click here for a sample.

You see, Santa lost one of his Hos (of the three Ho Ho HOs we typcially hear). Thus, by my calculations, he's one third less Ho-ish this season. And Santa - being down one Ho? That's, like, one third less jolly - one third less bright. It got me thinking: is there a lesson to be learned when even Santa can be down a Ho?

The song says:
But good things in life, they come and go, where'd the other Ho go? Don't know! But old Santa...lost a Ho.

I can't help but think they have it right, The Christmas Jug Band. I mean, good things in life - they DO come and go. But when even Santa loses a Ho, he doesn't stop delivering presents and toys. He doesn't start tailgating traffic or cussing at the lights on the tree that won't light. (Not that anything like that ever happens in our families. Nope. Never.) He doesn't mock the food or complain about the quality of the hot cocoa. Nope, he just brings the other two Hos, and hopes that Two Is Enough.

So I'm going to channel, what I hope, is a little bit of Ruby this holiday season. I understand that Ruby was always a pragmatist - but that she also knew how to have fun. So I, for one, will do my part to bring the Ho this year. Though I'm stuck in Chicago an extra day due to weather, I'm going for a run, (because we all know endorphins are synonymous with Hos), and then I'm headed to the St. Paul's Christmas Eve candlelight service at 9, where I will sing with the other people manufacturing their own Hos.

In the meantime, do me a favor - don't lose your Ho this week, please?

Your families may be crazy, your wallets may be thin, you may be tired and cranky and mad that you didn't get quite the gift you wanted. But consider this: even without one of his three Hos, Santa is still lots of fun - and people are glad to see him! So let's all make like Santa this year - bring the Double Ho this year - or whatever you can manage - and make those around you glad you did...

Merry Christmas and Happy Ho-ing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know this was an old post but can't help but comment on this one. I actually heard this on the way home from work and LAUGHED OUT LOUS (I don't usually do when I'm alone)!! It was hilarious and I need to get that on my computer and on Ravi's ipod somehow.