Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Rule No. 4 - Use Your Lifelines

It's been a few seasons since "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" was a big hit. But one of my favorite things about that game show was the "Lifeline" concept. Lucky souls reaching the limits of their own knowledge could phone a friend, ask the audience, or remove one of the multiple choice options. Each contestant could call on the three lifelines - but once called on, the contestant determined the Final Answer.

Unemployment Lifelines are very similar to the ones Regis gave Sheila from Topeka when she couldn't remember the capital of India. Faced with real-life limits - where to apply, which job to highlight on the resume, what to wear to the next interview - friends can be the lifeline you need.

My Lifelines cross a few different areas in my life. First, there's Runners World - those friends who call and make sure I'm showing up to our Saturday runs, or make sure that I'm running during the week. Then there are the Powerbrokers, who connect me with their headhunters, open jobs, friends who know friends who know people who are hiring, etc. There are also the GossipGirls - my friends who keep me going with tales of fun, gossip, intrigue and entertainment from old jobs. And there's Unemployees Anonymous - the group of those at home who band together to make the most of our wide open calendar. There's also my family - immediate and extended, who check in regularly and are never afraid to share a few laughs.

In one week, I might call on a Lifeline every day - or multiple times a day. Today, for example, the LipGloss Jungle (the slightly less high-powered version of Brooke Shield's group of girlfriends) all agreed to sign up for the Biggest Loser Pound For Pound Challenge. We commited to losing a certain amount of weight by next April - to not only look better for ourselves, but to raise money for Feeding America, (where one of the LipGloss Girls is a guru, and raises money to feed those who don't have enough to feed themselves). Talk about a Lifeline - when you're home all day, that weight...well..let's just say this butt could use the motivation....and the thought that by losing weight, I'll be feeding someone else... well..that's just too good to be true.

And that's not all for the Lifeline activity today - two PowerBrokers shared leads on new jobs that I called. Now the lead - it may go somewhere - or nowhere at all. But using those contacts is priceless, and something I couldn't have done on my own.

Of course, doing something with the Lifelines that are thrown my way is still MY obligation. Just like the game show, at the end of the day, Sheila from Topeka had to determine whether the capital of India was Mumbai or New Delhi. (It's New Delhi for those who are curious). It's still up to you [me] to find a new job, interview well, lose fourty pounds, and all that good stuff....but, when all those things happen, your friends feel just a little better too that they helped you out.

So don't be afraid to call the Lifeline....or to be one. We all need one, every once in awhile.

No comments: