Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I didn't know I had those!

Just a quick post here to share a "day after" reckoning.

Yeah, you know how I said yesterday that my new workout was "one I could imagine doing on a regular basis"? Right. Well, I'm going to have to revise that slightly.

I can do it on a regular basis - so long as I won't be wearing any tee shirts, picking up my purse, or pulling up my covers within three days of said workout.

HOLY CRAP.

I am not sure which exercises are to blame for the things that hurt on me right now. I am no gym novice - sure, I'm sort of "born again" right now, but I'm not a total newbie - and yet, I had to hit the painkillers (Advil, please) as soon as I woke up this morning.

(Right, which might have been sort of late....that whole insomnia thing? Not fun.)

Anyway, moral of this story: don't brag about the workout till the two day delay has passed.

The other good news is that I've devised an ingeneous self reward plan to help me continue building good habits. Since I've used the last of the sugar in my house (and have decided not to buy any more for at least a month, thus avoiding any baking temptations), I had to stick to a non-caloric reward.

It occurred to me that I have all these medals from races I've done. I keep them sort of put away, but sort of close at hand, to remind myself of the things I CAN do when I put my mind to it. Anyway, for each day where I successfully log the food (the "cornerstone" - aka "torturous come to Jesus moment" of any good weight loss plan), AND exercise in a given day, I am pulling out a medal and hanging it somewhere I'll see it.

So far, that's just one (the 2008 Chicago Distance Classic medal, for a 1/2 marathon this summer). I didn't work out today, so no medal...but the food log is a HUGE start, and I just need to keep doing it.

It gives me a chance to reinforce what I'm doing - and remind myself of those "hidden reserves" - and no, we don't mean there's oil in them there fields!

Okay, it's late and I'm clearly delusional. Off to bed. But if you're where I'm at - for anything this new year, I recommend that reward system. I'm not sure what Ruby's reward might have been (mom? Aunt J?) but I firmly believe she would have liked the concept of digging out something old and repurposing it. It's a very grandmotherly thing to do....

2 comments:

Auntienatti said...

Well, I'm pretty sure that Ruby would be throwing "dimes" into a jar(she loved those dimes), for each day she went without sweets - then I foresee a new hat or great pair of shoes in her future.

Sallie said...

Yay Auntienatti!!!

I think that's an excellent plan...dimes in the jar...but crap, that's a lot of days before new shoes...maybe quarters??? :)